Friday, October 17, 2008

Close Mindedness

I don't live in California anymore. I grew up there and even helped on the gubernatorial recall campaign that put Arnold in office. California is supposed to be the land of the crazy left wing liberals. At least that's what everyone says about it. Let me 'splain why this matters.

I recently got a new part time job to help pay the bills. It's for a company that does outbound survey's for everything from coffee to politics. With the elections only weeks away of course most of the surveys are about those.

I was tasked with calling people in California last night and asking them a series of questions about the upcoming elections. The first question was, "Tell me, in your own words, what is the MOST IMPORTANT Issue facing your community today."

Most of the responses were boring. Mundane crime and economy answers. One lady really pissed me off though and it was difficult for me to finish the rest of the survey. Her response was "Prop 8." Of course we are asked to probe for clarification, and I had no idea what Prop 8 was. When I asked her what it was about Prop 8 that concerned her she responded with, "That marriage is between a man and a woman. That my nieces and nephews will go to school and they'll teach them that it's okay to marry their same sex."

We're asked to continue questioning them until they say something along the lines of "That's all." Needless to say if my supervisors were listening to that call I would have been marked down on tone of voice and not probing enough. After that response I wanted to get her off the phone as quickly as possible.

How can people be so close minded to think that two people that love each other shouldn't be allowed to share that love in marriage? Whether it's two men, two women, or a man and a woman. Just because I don't find other women sexually attractive doesn't mean that I have the right to make sure that other women out there can't either. I don't care what you do in your bedroom just don't bring me into it, and I wont bring you into mine.

How hard is it to keep our noses out of each others business? I don't quite understand all these people that go about saying that they're trying to help us by taking our liberties away. Anti-Abortionists and Anti-Gay Marriage are the two biggest ones. Who the fuck are you to tell me what I can and can't do with my body? And who the fuck am I to tell you what you can and can't do with your body? It's ridiculous.

No comments: