Saturday, May 14, 2005

Why is it that people feel the need to fuel someone elses website with traffic?

Let me explain. Recently I was reading a couple of new blogs, and they were blogging about practices and behaviors that they didn't find acceptable. Namely a NYC based SEWING company that has a Stitch AND Bitch CAFE which sent a cease and desist letter to cafepress regarding a Chicago Stitch N' Bitch groups merchandise, and a link to some childish person's blog about how they hate knitting. The first we can all be understandably upset about the second, who cares?

I visited these sites as both of these posts were not brand new and I figured the ruckus would have died down by now. Apparently I was wrong. In the first instance the NYC comapny was deleting the posts from the knitters that went there to complain so I've no idea how many comments were really left. In the second instance 38 people went to this persons site about hating knitting and gave him validation for his childish behaviour. Visiting these sites was a mistake on my part.

When I was a web developer and a more active member of the web community we always ignored these kinds of things, not in the hopes that they'd go away on their own that never works. Knowing that if we went and visited these sites, and/or posted comments, we'd only be increasing their traffic and giving them more fuel for their fires. You can talk about the offense without actually having to visit the offending site.

I'm not saying that these two bloggers don't have the right to be angry with what's happening and shouldn't tell others that there are bad, perhaps ludicrous, things going on in the world. Just don't give the bad guys any fuel. Is that so hard to do?

Enough of that ranting for now. In knitting news I tried to cast on for the Triada scarf last night and don't see how there's any way in hell that you can join 30 stitches on a 24" needle. I'll have to fiddle around with the cast on and see what I can do to get it to work. Maybe make the crochet chain twice as long and pick up in every other back loop instead of every loop. We'll have to wait and see.

Also I know I promised pics last night but I was really really sick and couldn't be at my PC long enough to post the pics. I'm also going down to Ogden tonight and staying til tomorrow night for my fiance's birthday. So no pics til Monday afternoon after I get my bottom braces on. Woo hoo! Nothing but baby food for a week staring 2PM Monday. I'm so excited.

--K

1 comment:

Chef Messy said...

Well, as for me, I am not going to bother checking either of these blogs. :) I guess some people just don't have enough drama in their lives, or something.

Enjoy the baby food! Just think of it as an excuse to have lots of milkshakes!